20220124

Goya, Phillips, Cezanne

 


This is Goya's portrait of Bartolome Sureda y Miserol, from 1803-4. My version is near completion here, I did change the aspect ratio just a bit. The subject was a friend of Goya's, and was quite an ambitious and interesting person. This was the penultimate painting I did as a copyist, finished December 2019. While working on this, I was asked to do a commission of a painting attributed to John Phillips, with only a poor-resolution photo for reference. The painting (on linen panel) turned out well, and the clients became good friends. Completed just before lockdown began in 2020.


There was one more NGA painting that I started in January 2020, Cezanne's "Houses in Provence: Riaux Valley near L'Estaque". I had finished the underpainting in raw sienna, when a visitor to the NGA fell in love with it just as it was, so I happily sold it to her since I knew I needed a break.